Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Proposal

No, this post is not about the hit flick starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds (although what a funny movie).  This post features the highlights of the best day of my life this far!  Scott is so creative and such a hard-working and thoughtful planner, so I knew the proposal would be good.  But wow, he definitely went above and beyond.

I had a hunch (after providing several not-so-subtle hints) that a beach trip proposal could maybe be in the works, so I told Jana to let me know if I ever needed to look presentable.  Our normal routine was to wake up and head to the pool or beach with no shower or make-up, basically my usual summer look, so I was hoping for a kind heads up.  I'd like to think every girl reading this is in agreement with me.

I was told that we would be enjoying a girls day complete with pedicures, shopping, and lunch.  I was a bit confused when I walked downstairs to see that Jana wasn't ready and said she wouldn't be coming.  After I saw a "Gone Fishing" sign on Scott's door, Cade came around the corner with my first "Amazing Race" clue.

A little background info...awhile back, Scott and I were watching The Amazing Race (as was our routine on Sunday evenings) and I asked him who he'd take as his partner on the show.  He quickly answered, with absolutely no hesitation, his brother Terry.  Now, I'll be the first to say, I would make a horrible partner on this show.  I'm awful with directions, not overly mentally or physically tough, and truth-be-told I like to sleep in my own bed.  Anyone who knows me is saying, yes..yes..yes right now.  However, a small part of me thought he might be sweet and at least humor me with the thought of picking me as his partner.  (Let it be known I said I would pick him.)

Needless to say, on Wednesday, June 18th, he chose me to be his partner for life's amazing race!  My first clue talked about enjoying the day and led my mom and I to get a pedicure together.

Scott put so much work into making the clues.  So official, complete with lamination. 
And who doesn't want to ride around in style on the day you're going to get engaged?! He rented this beauty for me to drive.  It was definitely a top down, wind-through-your-hair kinda day!  (This could have been his subliminal message telling me we need a mustang...I'm on board.)


He spent months planning out this special day. He included my entire family to spend different parts of the day with me. After pedicures, my dad showed up with my next clue that led us to enjoy lunch and arcade games at Dave and Busters.

Lucky for us, Wednesday is half price play day so we got double the playing time!  Beating my dad in the basketball hoop game (surprisingly, I'm quite good at this game), and watching him in his element with the hunting game made for a great time together!  Art's just ornery enough to make for an adventure no matter what we're doing.  Scott was worried about my sisters keeping the day a surprise, but it turned out to be my dad who nearly spilled the beans more than once.  He learned my dad will have the inside scoop on a need-to-know basis in the future.  :)

My sisters met up with us to give me my next clue in the afternoon.  We were able to spend hours together walking around Pier Park, an outdoor shopping mall on Panama beach.  The clue was so cute and mentioned we were pledging our sisterhood in the Sigma Sauder Sorority.  We even got henna tattoos on the beach,which inspired a possible real sister tattoo in the future.  I'm sure that event will be blog worthy.

Our best shark face. 
Enjoying our red convertible! 
Love these two! So glad they got to be a part of the big day!
I was told I needed to be ready for dinner at 7 o'clock.  Walking downstairs to go to dinner was the first time I had seen Scott all day.  He was making the magic happen behind the scenes, dropping people off, picking people up, and dealing with my dad who sent him a text saying he was taking me captive and he wouldn't see me for the rest of the day.  Oh Art.

Before dinner Scott surprised me with a helicopter ride over the ocean.  I know!  This really does sound like a date on The Bachelor, right??  The day just got better and better.  Turns out the company only takes one reservation for the sunset ride each night; again, Scott had arranged this months ago.  Is he a keeper or what?!


View from up high!
The helicopter ride was unbelievable!  We would both recommend it if you have the chance. 

After dinner at Pineapple Willies, a local restaurant on the beach, Scott handed me my last clue which led us to a moonlight stroll on the beach to look for buried treasures.  We walked along the shore and enjoyed the beautiful evening.  By this point we had the whole beach to ourselves.  Scott had had my brother-in-law set out a beach mat with candles and my last clue which said that I had won the amazing race! He was starting to get on one knee while saying sweet things and I had been sitting down to read my clue by the candlelight, so of course I had to pause him to quickly stand up.  Then he used my full name, popped the question, and I said yes!


 Honestly, I'm not sure we knew what to do after that.  I think it was a huge sigh of relief for Scott that his big day had been carried out perfectly, so we just sat out by the ocean and enjoyed the first few minutes of our engagement together.  Eventually we made our way back to the beach house and celebrated with my family.  They're so cute; they had a Pandora station playing love songs.

Please ignore my overly cheesy, I just got engaged grin!

All of my clues from the big day. 

We enjoyed the last days of our vacation and hit the ground running on wedding plans when we got back.  Our big day is November 1st and we couldn't be more excited!  Scotty P, you successfully planned and executed the greatest day ever and I'm anxiously counting down the days till we say I Do.  (112 to be exact)

No comments:

Post a Comment