Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sleep Diva

 For the past couple of weeks I have had some trouble sleeping.  And by trouble I mean, tossing and turning wide awake till at least 2:00am some nights.  Keep in mind I get up around 5:45, ok 6am.  My goal is always 5:45.  Needless to say, Miss Sauder has had some very cranky tired school days.  I should probably also mention that I've always been that kid who requires a decent amount of sleep.  Let me give ya some background to my "sleeping diva-ness". 

Ever since college, I've slept with an eyemask to perfect the must of a pitch dark room.  You'd also always be able to find a set of earplugs in my pillowcase for those noisy nights.   Now somehow I survived the walls of a sorority house and sharing a room with at least two other people at a time, so I can't be that much of a sleep diva, right? To be determined.

I spent the summer of 2008 in Brazil and had an amazing time despite eigth weeks of terrible sleep.  I'm talking up in the middle of the night reading because I can't fall asleep.  I've got the mental toughness of a crazy person.  Once I get it in my mind that I can't fall asleep, I hit this cycle of near insomnia.  Terrible.

Needless to say, since moving to our new place, I've fixated on every single sound possible and prevented myself from getting good sleep.  Traffic outside, the hum of our fridge that backs up to my room (crazy, I know), the buzz of Jessica's fan below my room, you name it I've heard it. 

Here's a running tab of what I've spent lately towards trying to sleep:

New earplugs- $4.99
Sleep Aid (off brand pill to ease sleep...non-habit forming, don't wory) $4.50
Unisom (name brand pill when Sleep Aid was a crock) $10.85

But here's the best thing I've put my money toward lately- Dohm Sound Machine  At this point I was willing to spend a lot of money to get sleep, so $60 at Bed, Bath, & Beyond was totally worth it.  And let me tell you, I've been sleeping like a champ ever since.  I kid you not, if you're having trouble sleeping (which according to google, millions of people do) then this bad boy could save you.  So in a nutshell, my future husband better beware for this sleep diva!  (and hopefully he won't snore....)

1 comment:

  1. The eye mask! Great memories in Boyd Hall. Still the same purple silk one?

    ReplyDelete